For most residents of Granite City, IL, buying a vehicle is one o the largest financial investments that they can make. While this may happen several times throughout your lifetime, you probably do not want to have to do it too often, unless you have the extra money hanging around. Instead, you may choose to maintain the vehicle that you have as long as you can. Or, you may opt to keep it for a few years and then trade it in for a newer model. Either way, cars do not go on forever without some maintenance. Following a preventative maintenance schedule will help you ensure that your vehicle is running smoothly for a longer period of time.
Warning Signs that Your Vehicle Needs Maintenance
Unlike children, a vehicle cannot tell you when something is wrong. They do however have a language of their own that can be useful to learn if you want to make sure your vehicle is lasting its longest. Here are several ways that your vehicle may be asking you for maintenance.
- Dashboard Lights: Have you ever looked at the little lights on your vehicle’s dashboard? Some of them are actually warning you of problems that you may not be aware of otherwise. Make sure to not ignore them, as serious problems can occur. If you have a dashboard light that comes on and does not turn off, make sure to schedule an appointment with your local automotive repair shop for a diagnostic as soon as possible.
- Stalling: when your vehicle stalls, it is trying to tell you that there is something internally wrong. It could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter or something as complex as a damaged spark plug. Whatever the reason, take the warning and make sure you bring your vehicle to a repair shop to get it properly checked out.
- Issues Starting: Every vehicle should start smoothly every time. If yours doesn’t, then there is a problem that is worth looking into.
- Reduced Fuel Mileage: if you feel as though you are having to constantly refuel your vehicle, you are most likely not getting the best gas mileage. This could be due to improper tire pressure, or something more serious. This is a time for you to get a routine maintenance to figure out why this issue is happening!
- Spongy or Noisy Brakes: Your vehicle’s brakes are an important part of ensuring that you are able to safely stop. So, when they start to make noises or feel soft, they most likely are not operating at their peak efficiency, which can leave you in an unsafe situation. Take this as a warning, and make sure to get your brakes looked at by automotive repair experts.
- Mystery Noises: If your vehicle begins to sound like a haunted house on Halloween, then something is definitely wrong. Odd noises such as squealing from under your hood could indicate an issue like a worn belt, or a power steering issue. If you hear unusual tire sounds this could be a sign of imbalance or that your CV joint is failing.
If you are experiencing any of these issues with your vehicle, then you need to contact your local automotive repair experts. Luckily our team at Hotz Automotive is here for you! Give us a call today with any and all vehicle questions!